Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"Flying Pig" Tutorial


   Good day crafters! I want to tell you a one of the lessons I have learned over the years. Once while using a decoupage medium to paper mache',  I  became frustrated and was having trouble adhering the paper. Let me say now that one of the great things about DCWV paper is it is of a good weight. But, that weight was what was giving me all the trouble. I discovered that if I peeled off the back layer of the paper and ripped the edges I could get a smoother look and the paper would lay down on just about everything I wanted to cover. From new items as well as recycled items. Doing this takes a little bit longer to take off the back coating of the paper and then ripping the paper. In doing this you will have the project look smoother and the edges will blend better.


  The following description will give you information on the creation of the cute "Flying Pig" I have with me in my photo above.

   I found this pig at our local thrift store.The pig is ceramic so I covered him with 2 layers of masking tape so if it was to be dropped it would only crack but not shatter after all my work.
   Here are my tips. Rip your paper to a size that will fit best on your object. Holding the paper with the wrong side up, take a corner and slightly bend down that corner. Notice the area where the paper naturally separates from the front and back. This is where you will start to pull the layers apart. Notice in the photo that you will have white paper still adhered to the printed side. Do this to all paper being used. Don't take off to much of the backing from the printed side. This would leave to paper to thin to work with.

  Start decoupaging your item, overlapping the papers until all the area is covered. If you want to use more than one color like I have in this project cover the bottom section first and then add the top layer using a straight edge where patterns meet.





   This is the idea behind the wings for the pig. The grid lines above are at 1" squares use this in determining the size wings in your project. I cut the shape and then added a small gauge floral wire to the inside of the wing pieces taping the wire in place and gluing the 2 sections together to make the 1 wing. Do this same thing for the other wing. .
  The placing of wings is pretty easy. Holding the wing I folded a .75" area flat. This section will be placed on the back of the pig along the sides of the bank opening. Glue wing down with an epoxy type glue. After drying you can shape your wings as desired. I've added a few little feathers and bead to the top of the head just in  front of the wings and bank opening. I've also added a few short white feathers to the wings, some rick rack to go around the belly of the pig to separate the 2 colors. I cut out a small oval piece of grey felt for the nose and some pieces to place inside the ears. Use half pearls for the eyes to finish this cute "flying pig".
 

 I hope that this will give you many ideas for the items you want to cover with our great DCWV paper!! Using our great papers in your projects will be fun if you find ways to adhere paper to any base you want to cover. We've even covered a huge 7' x 8' elephant!


4 comments:

  1. What a cute project!! DCWV papers are awesome for so many things, but they are too good! I never thought of peeling off a layer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN flying pig :)

    THANK YOU for sharing your top tips & tutorial ... I can't even imagine how you covered the 7x8' elephant, it must have taken forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is so original and so cute. I love the layering!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete