Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Miss Provo Crafting Challenge


Get ready for a fun post full of crafting and beautiful girls!

DCWV is a sponsor of Miss Provo this year! If you aren't familiar with Provo, it is a pretty big town in Utah where our headquarters is located. Plus our founders are from this town so our company is pretty connected. We thought it would be lots of fun to give the girls a crafting challenge with some of our products and share their creations here on the blog!

First, let us introduce you to the contestants!
(10 are competing for the Miss Provo title but only 6 were available to play on our challenge night)

#1
Bethany Meldrum

Hometown: Provo
High School: Timpview
What would you like to be when you finish growing up?  Will I ever grow up for real?  I want to be a Physicians assistant
What 3 things would you like to accomplish as Miss Provo?
1.       Make Provo a loving and safe community
2.       Serve as much as possible
3.       Magnify my platform: When disaster strikes
Who is your idol? Charity Meldrum

#2
Sasha Heaps

Hometown: Provo
High School: Timpview
What would you like to be when you finish growing up? Nurse in pediatric neurosurgery
What are 3 things you’d like to accomplish as Miss Provo?
1.       Learn more about myself, learn my purpose in life
2.       Make more friends—be outgoing
3.       Serve more within my community
Who is your idol? Sandra Bullock

#3
Kaiti Purse (Miss Provo 2012)

Hometown: Provo UT and Rexburg ID
High School: Madison High
What would you like to be when you finish growing up?  I don’t ever want to “finish” growing up, because I want to be someone who grows and learns all their life!  I want to be a patriot, and adventurer, a business lady, and a mom.
What are 3 things you’d like to accomplish as *MISS UTAH* (she’s running for this)
1.       I want to see more of this beautiful state and interact with as many people as possible
2.       I want to continue to serve and make a change that counts
3.       I want to be changes forever, having grown exponentially as Miss Utah as I have being miss Provo
Who is your idol?  My idols change.  My idol on a given day is the person who does something courageous, honest, or selfless, and teaches me to be a better person.

#4
Lisa Webster

Hometown: Hong King/Jamison PA
High School: Central Bucks South High
What would you like to be when you finish growing up?  I guess I would like to be happily married while managing to be active in life
What are 3 things you’d like to accomplish as Miss Provo?
1.       Gain Public speaking experience
2.       Overcome my state fright
3.       Make friends and connections
Who is your idol?  Einstein (for his love for science and art)

#5
Joey Kapp

Hometown: Provo
High School: Timpview
What would you like to be when you finish growing up?  A pediatrician
What are 3 things you’d like to accomplish as Miss Provo?
1.       Update the public on social media defenses
2.       Reduce teen suicide rates in Provo
3.       Reduce cyber bullying rates (43% currently)
Who is your idol? My mom

#6
Emily Kapral

Hometown: Bloomfield Connecticut
High School: Northwest Catholic
What would you like to be when you finish growing up?  I would like to be a ballroom dance instructor when I grow up
What are 3 things you’d like to accomplish as Miss Provo?
1.       Help others discover the joy of dancing
2.       Bring different groups of high school students together
3.       Show Utah how great Provo is!
Who is your idol?  Kate Middleton

Pretty impressive, right?!

So one night, 6 of the contestants met up for our challenge. Here was their instructions:

Our challenge to you is to craft a frame to hold your favorite pageant photo as well as a card for your mom.  You will have 1 hour to cover your frame and embellish it with buttons, bows, quotes, and more.  Once that hour is up, you will have 15 additional minutes to create a card for mom.  The only requirements are that you must use a “textured” page somewhere on the frame. This is a print that is all about the texture and less about the hearts, birds, stars, etc. And you also must use a tag on your card.)


And for one hour, they crafted! We loved how excited and creative these girls were! Reminds me of when I was their age, I loved crafting and especially scrapbooking photos of me and my friends. 

Now here is the fun part. We have photos of all the frames that the girls made. We want YOU to leave a comment on this blog post and tell us the NUMBER of your favorite frame. By doing this, you will be entering yourself into a paper stack giveaway along with voting for your favorite project! Two winners will be chosen on Monday.

LOVE what they came up with! Will be hard to pick a favorite :)

#1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

If you live around our neck of the woods, check out the Miss Provo Pageant this weekend!
Saturday, June 1st
7:00 pm
Provo Covey Center for the Arts
Performance Hall

Go Provo!

67 comments:

  1. I vote for #6. I love the colors, the simplistic beauty, and the message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone did a great job, but I vote for #3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 love the bright colors.
    Good luck from America's Girl Louisiana State Ms Queen Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all did a great job! I vote for #3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #6 gets my vote but 3 was close behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all good but I vote for NO. 6.
    It is simple but the textures and quote/message
    says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote is for #4. There is an elegance to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them all, but #6 is my favorite. Have fun ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of the girls did a wonderful job! They should all be proud of their creations. But if I had to pick just one, it would have to be #3. I love the colors and the words. This will be a great momento. I love the sayings that #1 and #6 used as well. They are great reminders to be happy and that nothing is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the combination of colours of #4. . .but #6 was very close behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They all did a wonderful job! But with only being allowed to pick one it would have to be #3, love the bright colors.

    Amy V

    ReplyDelete
  12. - #3 - Love the bright colors, and it goes so well with the theme of your evening! All the girls did a great job! Good luck to you all as you compete for Miss Provo. Keep up the paper art. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. #3 - love how this will go amazingly with a Photo of the contestant. Colors and textures are fantastic.

    All the frames show a job well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The frames are all beautiful! It was hard to pick but I have to go with #1.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was so hard to choose. I really love them all, but since I have to pick one, I guess it will be #6.

    ReplyDelete
  16. #2 - love the color combination, the words used on the frame and the adorable birds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I vote for #2! great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the frames but the bright and cheery colors of #3 gets my vote. I love the ribbon detail and how the letters were cut out to make a title for the frame. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGoodness! What a challenge. I vote for #2, it looks ready to hang!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. #3 is my falvorite, so bright and cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm going to have to go with #1. I like the wood showing, and the workmanship is good. I think this is the least likely to take away from the beautiful pageant photos also.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love #4. I could put a picture in that one and be perfectly content with the way it looked. It is elegant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looked like so much fun! They are all beautifully put together so it's hard to pick but I would pick #3 to be my favorite :)

    Melonie colon-maldonado

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are all beautiful but I love #2.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like they all had fun
    creating the frames. I like
    #2 for the colors and birds
    used.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful ladies! they sure had fun, look at those smiles. :)
    My favorite photo frame is #1 love the simple earth tone colors and dash of green flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to go with #3. She made it colorful and coordinated, and goes perfect with the theme. I am sure she will use it for a picture of this competition.
    Gloria H.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like the colours in #6, but they are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. #4, but they are all beautiful in their unique way!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What great projects! #4 is my favorite, but I loved #6 too. Great job, all, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. #1. What a neat activity. Awesome sponsor!

    ReplyDelete
  32. #3 is my favorite. Love how she uses such splashy happy colors. This must be how she feels during this exciting time of her life. Good luck to each of the gals.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fabulous introduction and activity!!!
    My vote goes for #6 - the colours & flower are lovely and the sentiment inspires :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. They were all really great vim not lying when I say it was hard to choose but if I can only pick one ill go with #4.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I vote for #2. I like the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love #6. The sentiment is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love #3. Everyone did a nice job though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. #3...I feel it goes well with the challenge. Everyone did great though!

    ReplyDelete
  39. They are all beautiful. Everyone did a wonderful job on their frame. I like #3 also as I think it fits the challenge best.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I liked them all, but I favored #1 and #4. Soooooo, I pick number 3. Nice to see the girls having fun.

    Dianne Bell - Sewpro02@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. It would have to be #3! These ladies are so talented! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are all wonderful! My vote is for #2!

    ReplyDelete
  43. #3--such a fun and funky vibe there :) Good luck to the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Fabulous job by all who entered, but I have to vote for the one that made me smile for its bright and colorful look #3

    ReplyDelete
  45. They are all great... but my favorite is #4!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Looks like a fun time! I like number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  47. My favorite is #4, but all of them are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I especially like the sentiment expressed in #2.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Six winners!!! Darn, I can only pick one that strikes me the most so it would have to be frame #3...bright, cheerful and youthful!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh Boy, tough decision. These girls all did wonderful jobs, but I will go with #2.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love #4, it is so well balanced and I love the fussy cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Tough choice, they all look great ! I like #4 for its elegant look but my favorite is #3 because of the originality of the letters that stand out from the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm casting my vote for #3!! Pretty and playful!

    Lu L.

    ReplyDelete
  54. They're all wonderful. But, I vote for #6

    ReplyDelete
  55. Tough to choose - bit I vote for #6.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Erin, I think that they are all fab!! I am a bit partial to #3....awesome job ladies!!

    ReplyDelete