Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mixed Media Fun

Oh this is going to be a happy post. I can just tell :)

While I was on the Michaels Cruise last month, I had to the chance to take some classes that really opened my eyes to some new forms of crafting. One of these classes was from Kathy Kromer of Michaels who is a an amazing artist and taught us about Mixed Media Art.


Definition:
Mixed media tends to refer to a work of visual art that combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage could properly be called a "mixed media" work

So basically...a piece of art that incorporates lots of "stuff". Paint, ink, scrapbook paper, ribbon, buttons, basically ANYTHING :) Oh and glitter never hurt anything either!

 

Here are a few pieces that I found on Pinetrest. I love how they used scrapbook paper to help capture the mood of their art.



These two were painted by Christy Tomlinson, a popular mixed media artist in the craft industry.  I would love to sit in her studio and paint with her for a day :)

So in our class, Kathy gave us very little guidance...something that is usually hard for me! 

We sat down and saw a canvas, brushes, paint, Liquidex Gel Medium...


An awesome stack...Retro Collage, which was perfect for this project...


And 2 photos of Kathy's Aunt Martha.

Aunt Martha was quite the woman...lol. We heard all about her and she was pretty darn funny. We used one of the photos on our canvas and the other we cut up and used parts of her dress, collar, glasses for templates. Aunt Martha loved to give advice...


And this is what she said to me! "Be Where Your Feet Are" Make sure your head is not wondering in a moment with your family. Make sure your head is connected to work during my work hours. BE where my feet are. This is always my struggle...but I'm always getting better at it.




When I sat down with my supplies I thought, "What in the world am I doing." And then I just went at it! It was so fun to do something new with our paper. It was so fun to feel like an artist! I mean...like a "paint and brushes" kinda artist :) Cause paper crafters are artists 100%!

It has been fun to try something new with our papers. It has inspired me to create more with our papers and paints and sparkly goodies :) I love that about our love of crafting. It is always evolving and growing! Our creativity is always surprising us.

I hope this was a happy post for you too :) Have a great day!

33 comments:

  1. Love it! Especially the hair and the glasses. Too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those things I've been wanting to try...looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I would love to try out this form of art, but would surely need some guidance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I haven't tried much mixed media art- it's hard for me to "color outside the lines." I REALLY need to give it a go. LOVE your piece! That bouffant is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not made any mixed media projects, but these examples look like fun. I might have to try it out after the holidays, when there is less going on around the house. Thank you for sharing some inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great idea!!! I love how this turned out. I have to remember that sometimes it is better if you work outside of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is Fab! I love that stack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loooooove mixed media art, I wish I was better at creating it myself! My favorite stack of all time is the Colorful Life stack... the artist reminds me of these~!

    -rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! This is just too darn adorable! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to stick to things that are in my comfort zone. Really should branch out more. Posts like this are helping me consider branching out and trying different things. : ) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How stinking adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like so much fun- I bought a couple of pieces of canvas at Michaels about 2 months ago-havent tried yet-but you have given me great inspiration-just have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, it looks fun, love your papers!!!
    cathyplus5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such an awesome piece you made! I used to paint with oils and I really miss it (can't do it any more because of a neck injury) but creating with paper is the next best thing!!

    amyis300 AT hotmail DOT com
    scrapthissavethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's funny because I started off as a acrylic painter and came into paper crafting (card making) after wards! I like the idea of the multi media! I do still paint my cards and add die cuts and stamping to embellish!

    Kris in Alaska
    funamom at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool the mixed media with the DCWV collection papers!! Thanks for sharing love it! Hugs.. Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a great project. Love how it turned out!

    ~ JD ~
    jdscricuteering{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  18. OHHhh these collages are amazing!!!! I love Aunt Martha's collage!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this loks like it was a fun project, that is what crafting is all about, creating and having fun doing it, right???
    cathyplus5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great and fun idea. Sometimes I get all up-tight about making things perfect. This would be a great exercise for me to just loosen up and have fun. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Erin, this is fabulous! What fun to sit down and do something out of your comfort zone....and have it turn out so amazingly great! Can you do a tutorial for us on mixed media!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Project Erin! I've recently started doing more and more mixed media and I just love it! TFS
    Btw you should checkout the altered box I made covered with dcwv.

    starsinpalm.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. looks like you had lots of fun love the glasses

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks awesome, I don't have the nerve to do art that way...way too OCD!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun!!! Kuddos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So different and neat! Don't know that I'm brave enough to venture into mixed media art, but it's really cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm just discovering mixed media too and loving it. I did an altered book for my mom for Christmas. It was wonderfully freeing. Keep us posted as you discover more.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is totally my style. I love it! Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is awesome. Good job. I struggle with mixed media art. Seems like I keep getting stuck with just one thing at a time. But this post is kinda pushing me a to step out of my box. And I love her advice. Live in the moment, live where you feet are. Easier to say than do.

    ReplyDelete