Monday, July 11, 2011

Stacks Sure Come in Handy :)

Hey everyone! I hope you had a fabulous weekend! I definitely did...and I wanted to give you a peek into what I worked on :)

I was reminded why I love scrapbooking so much and WHY I do it. When my best friend Amberly died,  I knew that her scrapbooks were going to be the biggest part of her legacy that we had to complete. Am loved to scrap! She was such a perfectionist tho, she would spend hours on her pages and quickly got further and further "behind." She printed and organized all of her photos, knowing that she had to get her books going! While she was sick, I tried to get her to let us work on her books so she could do the journaling and help us with "who, what, where". She refused over and over, wanting to do her pages herself for her boys. It was too important to her to let someone else do them. So time went on, she still refused my help. Quickly, she was too sick to even get her stuff out. She joked and said that I would just have to finish them for her. Sadly, that's what is happening now. 6 weeks after her death, her family and friends all met together for the first of many weekends to come to work on her scrapbooks. With 4 boys all with their own books plus a family album, it's a lot of work! But it was such a special time and I was reminded why we scrap and buy stacks...to document memories for generations to come. 

Here are a few photos from the weekend...click on the photo to enlarge.

1. Lots of friends, working hard :)
2. Found a special photo that deserved it's own page. Sometimes a photo just needs that. 
3. Amberly's sister, Brit, working on some of her first scrapbook pages ever!
4. In situations like these, stacks are the ONLY way to go! Coordinating prints...you can always find matching colors and the pages go so far! I hate open stock paper mess!
5. A camping layout for little Nathan's scrapbook. Used the Green Stack
6. Another layout for Nathan...Used the new, updated All About Boy Stack. With 4 little boys, lots of boy papers were needed and I had the right stacks :)
7. Nathan started with 2 pages in his scrapbook and now his first 2 years are done in his first book. The other three boys are all caught up to 2008, big progress but still lots to do!

I know there are many ways to document your memories and photos. Traditional scrapbooks like Amberlys, mini albums, digital albums. Anyway you do it, just do it!! It is part of your legacy, part of what you will leave behind. 

Just another reason why I love this industry so much!!

Have a great day...be back on Wednesday with some fun CHA sneak peaks :)

22 comments:

  1. This is so awesome that you are finishing the books for her boys! I bet they will cherish them later in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother was raised by her aunt Rose who kept her pictures pretty well organized. When the aunt died, my mother was sent to another relative and we never knew what happened to Aunt Rose's albums. Sixty years later, I discovered that one of my mom's cousins claimed them as "his." Fortunately mom's cousin's niece was willing to print them out to share with us. I saw the first pictures ever of my mom as a baby. On my dad's side, I never saw pictures of my dad under the age of 13 - the year his mother died. Until my aunt shared photos she didn't want. OMG. Tons of professional photos of my dad and uncle before the depression hit. Of course, almost none of them were labeled, but I've been able to figure some of them out. I vowed then that I would get the pictures scrapbooked of the years of my marriage. Just getting into that now. Thirty two years is a long time to work on, but I am excited to get it under way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear of Amberly's death. You two had such a wonderful friendship. She seemed like an amazing human, friend and mother.

    Great job on catching up a bit on the albums. I completely agree that in some situations stacks are the only way to go. I made my first gift album last year and practically used up a DCWV stack and I loved the finished coordinated product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, your post is truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing Amberly with us. Her family will treasure the beautiful scrapbooks that you and your friends are making for them. You are all truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just in tears reading this. It's soo good for the soul to see there are wonderful friends and family like you to take this on. I know she is looking down on all of you just smiling ear to ear. Probably so full of pride and relief. These albums will be such treasures for her children some day. It's also helpful in keeping there mothers memory alive. You are an amazing friend I wish I was blessed enough to have someone like you in my life... Big hugs to all of you and keep rocking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! Such a generous thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a way to keep everything going. I agree, what wonderful friends and family you all are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, so sweet of you girls to finish up Amberly's books. I know she is smiling down on all of you.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an "AMAZING" friend to organize and do this. I am sorry for such a tremendous loss. She would love you till the end for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow great job, and how nice of you to help out
    Creations With Becka

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was so sad to read, yet also very inspiring. This is why we need to preserve our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss, Erin. You are an amazing friend by carrying out Amberly's scrapbooks with her family and friends. This is very inspiring to me. :) ~Jen http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again sorry for your loss but what a great thing you are doing. It breaks my heart to see that she left little ones behind. Sometimes life is not fair and this is a reminder to be grateful for what we have :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a terrible loss. It is a wonderful and loving act that you are a part of to give her family such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my extended condolenses to you and her family. after completing a friends babyshower album complete with 12 page layouts. I sat back and said what about my 3 kids and my family history. I must do the same to cherish the moments, memories, family and friends close, far and new. Thanks for confirmation to continue scrapbooking and designing. Many huggies to you my cyber friend
    Jess B
    thatzuneek@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a lovely thing for you guys to do Erin. Good on you little lady. Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an awesome tribute to your friend, and such a caring gift for her family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that was soooo nice of you to help finish her Scrapbooks. I hope I have someone help my family do that when my time comes. With the tornado that went through our city of Joplin, I bet there is tons of families that will miss their photos and wish they had the memories recorded. So sad, doing what I can to help but can't replace the memories.

    circlebenterprises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful labor of love. These kinds of projects are so good for remembering and healing our hearts too. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are such a wonderful friend. I am so sorry for your loss and I am gonna post this on my blog because you're absolutely right, it is our legacy. It's our story to tell and that's why I love scrapbooking.

    Tisha
    http://tishascraftcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an act of love! Encouragement going your way to hang in for the big job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What you have done will mean the world to those boys as well as Amberley's husband. You are a true friend and a great inspiration to many.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete