Monday, May 23, 2011

Just doing my little part...

Happy Monday!

It's not too often that I post an entire blog post about my own personal life. But what I was up to this weekend is a huge part of who I am. So I wanted to share and I hope that is ok :) This is what my entire weekend was full of....


My annual all night softball tournament and fundraiser was this weekend. I started it last year because of this girl right here...my best friend, Amberly.


This picture was taken last year, our first year of the tournament. We raised LOTS of money to send her little family to Disneyland and to help with medical bills. This year she choose another family and we did the fundraiser for them.


Here we are this weekend. I tried to tell her she didn't need to come and that she should stay home and rest. But this girl is stubborn and she does what she wants ;) So I was so happy to have her come for a little bit! Sadly, the next day, she was admitted into the hospital. To say my life is a roller coaster right now is an understatement!


This is the Terry Family, the family that Amberly chose for us to sponsor. Their 12 year old, Zachary, (in the yellow) has a rare degenerative disease and he is aging backwards. His nightly seizures erase his memory. His dad is out of work and they have no insurance. The money that we raised will hopefully make a little dent in the stress and hardships that they are facing.


A week of rain stopped for our tournament. Then on Sunday, it was back. Coincidence? I think not.


We had so much support from our little community. And of course DCWV donated an amazing basket for me that we silent auctioned. 

Raffle, silent auction, live band, radio station, face painters, dinner and breakfast....it was quite the production. But it was all worth it!!


22 teams played all night long. These were our winners! They were amazing, didn't loose one game :) My hubby's team came in 2nd so I was pretty darn proud of him!

I feel like this tournament has become "my part" of the world, trying to leave it a little better than I found it. It's work. And this year it came at a really difficult time of my life dealing with Amberly's health. But I promised her that I would continue to do this. That was our deal. If I did it for her, then I would have to keep it up every year helping someone else. And she knows that I am always good on my promises :)

Thank you for letting me share. I will be back on Wednesday with a darling project that my 6 year old made for his school Art's Night. He inspires me!!!! 

Have a fabulous day :)

38 comments:

  1. beautiful story. great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. This is an inspiration!! My prayers go out for the families you are helping and for your continued success over the years in helping future families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with the families also and with you for your strength to help others and for all you've done.

    Blessings, Lori m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, you are truly an inspiration to me. God bless you and your beautiful friend Amberly.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Erin! This is very touching and I am glad that you chose to share this with us. Many people often think of becoming involved but, think that it's a lifelong commitment when it doesn't have to be but, it can make a huge difference. Congrats to everyone involved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome!! What a wonderful thing to do. My thoughts and prayers are with your friend and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMazing. Prayers for you, Amberly and the Terry family. I love hearing these stories, renews my faith in mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing way to help a family. You are awesome to do this. I donate platelets every two weeks for children with Cancer. I do this because I am a firm believer of paying it forward.
    Hope your best friend is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful story and great causes. I wish Amberley and Zachary the best health they can possible have. I really wish this type of occasion was more apparent in my country even though we don't have to pay healthcare costs I am sure the families could always do with a little help as well as the knowledge that people care enough to get involved.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH WOW what an amazing story... You are truely and amazing lady... Such a wonderful and HUGE heart you have. You and Amberly are truel inspirations to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing !!
    And committing to an Annual Event
    All the families involved can't help but be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! Hope the inspiration keeps spreading. The outreach of a community can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow so awesome to reach out to these people in need!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one amazing woman, Erin. Prayers are going out to the families right now! Thank you Erin, for being you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful.. This entire post.. your gift to your friend, your community and your friend's strength.

    My heart goes out to Amberly, and to Zachery and his his family...

    Hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing Erin- Prayers are going out for Amberly and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story!!!

    prayers sent for both families!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing, beautiful thing to be a part of!! Hugs and prayers for you and your friend, Amberly. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing a bee-utiful story for a wonderful cause/family. Prayers, hugs, best wishes & SUNSHINE for all.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"
    http://createdbysunshinehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know what else to say other than "Job well done!" Sending thoughts and prayers for you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing and for trying to make a difference in this crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so awesome. I am glad that the skies cleared for the day. It is similar to something that is done here in our town. The young girl that they started it for had recently passed away last year but this year they did it again for another family to have a trip to disneyland. Will continue to keep your friend in our prayers.

    Amy V

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's nice to be inspired creatively, but we also need this type of insperation to keep up humble and grounded. Wishing the best to your friend and others in need.
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Erin, thank you for trusting us; you can always share with us! We really do care!

    Please know that my thoughts and prayers will be with your best friend, Zachary and their families as well as with you and your family, too! You are a true blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. many prayers for Amberly and Zachery. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us. what an awesome fundraiser to help others!
    parkernana5@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an awesome event! God is going to bless you and your family as well as the families you are helping! My prayers are with both Amberly and Zachery!
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am sure that your 'little part' is actually a very BIG part for those involved.....God bless you in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful event! You are helping to bless so many lives in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a great fundraiser idea. I am sure the family this year appreciates it. My thoughts are with Amberly and Zachery.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful story and great job! With all the tornado stuff going on here in Joplin MO, I think it is amazing all the stories of people helping people. Please help me pray for all the victims from 2 days ago! There is this morning, 116 dead and 410 still missing, aprox 9000 without homes and 189 businesses gone including a major Hospital, High School and even Joanns. Simply amazing what one 10 minute tornado can do to a major town.

    circlebenterprises.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ah wish I could have helped you out as I am in AF, not too far away.
    Next year let us know a few weeks ahead and maybe we can help out!
    If there is something we could do now let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is so great, love what you are doing to help these families :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember you posting about last years tournament. I didn't remember that it was an all night affair, how wonderful.
    I'm sure the family you sponsored is very appreciative. This is truely a wonderful fundraiser! Thanks for sharing that part of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful thing to be a part of. I'm sure it makes you and your hubby feel real good to help out these people who are fighting for their lives. Gods blessings to your friend Amberly.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is fantastic, Erin. I know what you mean about your life being a roller coaster right now. I lost my younger sister to breast cancer a year ago this month and it was the same thing with her during her final few months. She was my best friend and crafting buddy and I miss her terribly. It's so nice to know that you can make a difference in peoples' lives with your acts of kindness. Bless you and the families you are helping.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you for sharing your friend Amberly with us. Cancer is a cruel disease, I know. How fortunate you were to have her in your life! She was a blessing, I'm sure. I am wishing you God's Love, and to her family. We are all connected, as human beings. You have made a difference by being who you are. May God lift Amberly into His kingdom, where she is healed.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for sharing this story, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Amberly's family!

    ReplyDelete