Monday, May 24, 2010

Life is Good.

Wow. What a weekend. Originally, I was not going to post anything about what I was up to this weekend. But after thinking about it, I would not be representing a true part of me through this blog if I didn't. This weekend changed my life! 

My best friend, Amberly, has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She was diagnosed in September and it has been one of the hardest things in my life to deal with. Scans in April showed that the cancer is moving at an alarming rate, despite all efforts to slow it down. After the discouraging results, I decided to turn all of my anger and "life is not fair" frustrations into something positive. 

In 3 weeks, with the help of LOTS of my friends, we planned and put on an all night softball tournament in our little town to raise money to send Amberly, her husband and her 4 little boys to Disneyland. 22 teams, 300+ ball players, 150 raffle items and a community that came together. (The DCWV scrapbook basket was a huge seller at the silent auction!) The event was Friday night/Saturday and it was a looong weekend that I will never forget. It was life changing as I witnessed the "good" in so many people around me. We have the entire vacation booked through one miracle after another. Every aspect of the trip is planned, booked and paid for. And we still have $15,000 that was raised for experimental medicine and bills. This is the WAY condensed version of this story. But Amberly and this event is a huge part of my life and I wanted to share. We are already brainstorming how we can do it again next year and help another family grant a wish.  



I think I have recovered from my sleep deprivasion!! And I am ready for all some fun things at work, leading up to the CHA Summer Trade Show in Chicago in July!

I have had this project in the back of my head for a while now. I found these shadow boxes at a warehouse sale at work a while ago. I don't think we sell them anymore but you can find similar boxes at Ikea. You could also use black frames, really in any size that you can find.

{The cute couple on this packaging are my two bosses. How cute are they!! And yes, they are as nice as the look in the pictures!}


Using Photoshop Elements, I created 9- 8x8 files using pictures from a recent photo shoot with a local photographer. I simply enlarged the photo and then added either a brush effect or text to each photo. I wanted to keep them pretty simple. I printed the 8x8 prints at Persnickety Prints which prints amazing photos. Try them out, I promise you will not be disappointed!!


Hung each frame on the wall in a grid pattern. Tried to keep them as straight and even as we could but it was a very time consuming task. I decided I am not perfect so why would I expect my frames to be?? :)



I hung these in my living room and I can't wait to have someone stop by my house so I can show them off. I love how easily some digital elements were mixed with photos to create a hybrid look. This look is HOT right now!

I hope everyone has a great Monday! See you on Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry about your friend! That is so awful! That was so wonderful of you and the community to come together to support such a worthy cause! This story gave me goosebumps! My thought and prayers go out to Amberly and her family!
    I love the way your framed hybrid prints turned out! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deeply saddened and uplifted at the same time.

    It always seems like the angels on earth are the ones who go so soon. I hope the best for Amberly, her family and friends.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing for you to organize for your friend. Just recently found that my 'almost nephew' (nieces boyfriend) has brain cancer for the 2nd time. He is only 27 yrs old. We are all praying he does well with the therapy and kicks it out completely this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my how I love what you did with those pictures! So creative! Wish I lived closer so I could pop by and see them in person!

    And what you did for your friend really touched me. You are the kind of friend that I want to be to my friends. I hope Amberly and her family has an amazing trip and realizes that there are alot of people who know her story and love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My prayers for your friend and her beautiful family. I'm always amazed at how wonderful and generous people are when someone really needs help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers are with your friend and her family and you her dear friend. Could you tell what your scrapbook basket is we have a big fundraiser every year for Hospice. We live in a small but giving town and I thought maybe this is something I could do for the fundraiser. pattiew@bresnan.net

    ReplyDelete